Due to our holistic approach to teaching outdoor education and school trips play an important part in pupils’ personal and educational experience at Dunedin. We believe that incorporating outdoor activities and courses into the timetable and summer term positively impacts on our pupils’ physical and mental health and well-being. For many pupils these experiences are invaluable for learning crucial team building skills, encouraging an active life and improving their confidence.
Examples of the kind of activities and trips we offer throughout the year are:
• History trips to the Museum, Mary’s Kings Close, Craigmillar Castle
• Art trips to Edinburgh Galleries, Jupiter Artland, Botanical Gardens
• Activity tasters in canoeing, fishing, skiing, snowboarding
• Ongoing sport such as badminton, tennis, walking, swimming
• Longer courses in CDT, music and drama in collaboration with outside providers
In addition, we deliver an extensive outdoor education programme during the latter weeks of the summer term. Our pupils have the opportunity to participate in a broad spectrum of outdoor activities at no additional cost. They include: